Saturday, June 8, 2013


Constance Moore's Improbable Beautiful

1st grade student painting at New Highland Elementary, Oakland CA, 2008


1)    How long have you been a teaching artist?

I have been teaching art for a little over 20 years since about 1992.

2)     What discipline(s) do you teach?

I teach visual art.

3)    Describe the setting(s) in which you teach.

Currently I teach in a public K-5 school. I also provide professional development for elementary through High School teachers , as well as teach a course on art and creativity for undergraduates at Holy Names University.

4)    What funding source(s) support you as a teaching artist?

At this time I am paid through the Museum of Children's Art (MOCHA) a non-profit that is paid by the school.

5)    Who shaped your initial thinking about teaching art?

Miriam de Uriarte at the Child Art Studio in Berkeley www.miraarte.org 

6)    Describe the relationship between your personal art practice and your art teaching?

I find that now that I am paying attention the two influence each other. I take my interest into the class but also what the students are working on in art or their general classroom impacts my thinking and what images I’m attracted to. I also notice my choice of color is very child-like. I like the bright basics with a good dose of black or mud colors. I see that kids tend to make work that has a lot of contrast, whether they do it on purpose or not. This aesthetic is very appealing to me.

On the other hand, teaching tends to suck all of my energy and it can be difficult to work on my own work after work. I have to be very organized and mark out the specific times I will work or else nothing will get done.

7)    Where do you get your lessons or project ideas?
Please share your top 3 resources.

Recently I get ideas online. There are now so many websites full of creative projects or great suggestions on new ways to use specific materials.

I also get a lot of ideas from the classroom teacher and their curriculum. Also websites like Spark and Art 21
Best resource - ask other art teachers.

8)    What training in the arts and/or education have you had?

I have a MA in American Civilization from Brown University. Although this is essentially a history degree my focus was on art and culture. I have used my MA as a Museum Studies/Arts Education degree primarily. I have an almost AA in Studio Art from Peralta Colleges. I have a few courses left. Peralta is where I got the best hands on studio art training.  I am now in the MFA-IA program at Goddard.

9)    How has your training and/or other life experiences benefited your teaching?

Most of my important training has come on the job. Learning how to teach is a hands on experience for me. I’ve learned so much from other teachers and teaching artists. My Goddard experience is helping me to look more closely at teaching art as an influence on my art and a part of my personal art practice.

10) What are the biggest challenges you face as a teaching artist?

The biggest challenges are staying employed (funding, funding, funding!), when I don’t have my own class it’s dealing with all the stuff. For example you have to figure out where to keep materials and how to schlep them from class to class, dealing with classroom teachers and classrooms that are set up in strange ways.

11) What are the unexpected rewards of being a teaching artist?

That some how I have managed to stay employed more or less consistently for over 20 years. The other reward is the deep thinking that goes into teaching. There’s always more to learn and art is a great way to process and uncover new ideas. Its not unexpected but I’m still thrilled by the depth of creativity and commitment students of all ages put into their art. Of course there’s a huge return of love and appreciation from the kids. It’s like being a rock star!

12) What advice do you have for other artists interested in teaching?

Plan, plan, plan and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Make as many connections with other teaching artists as you can. Take advantage of all new learning opportunities. If you do you can really grow as a person. NEVER underestimate what kids can do!

13) What is your hope for the future of arts education?

I hope that the Arts – all disciplines – return to the public schools not just as add ons but as the heart of the curriculum. I believe that art should drive the curriculum.

*Bonus*
Please share one anecdote of a memorable Teaching Artist experience.

It’s hard to pick out one moment…I recently had a kindergarten student tell me in a rush of excitement “Miss Moore you are the artist best teacher I never had!”

Please share any upcoming events or shows you are involved in so we can find out more about your personal art practice. Provide links to websites, event sites, etc.

I currently have a solo show: Inner and Outer Spaces at Dish Boutique in SF www.dishboutique.com
You can see my portfolio here www.constancemoore.crevado.com

No comments:

Post a Comment