Saturday, June 15, 2013


Clara Layni's Improbable Beautiful




1. How long have you been a teaching artist?
I taught adjunct "PT" for 2 years and full time for 2 years. 
 
2. What discipline(s) do you teach?
 Beginning graphic design, ceramics and sculpture

3. Describe the setting(s) in which you teach.
Community College- classes with all ages from high school with early enrollment to senior citizens.
 
4. Who shaped your initial thinking about teaching art?
The many art teachers I have had have provided me with excellent examples of really inspiring teachers and terrible teachers. I tried to take the best things from my best teachers, and of course avoid the practices of the bad teachers.
 
5. Describe the relationship between your personal art practice and your art teaching?
I really tried to pass on the things which made art fun for me to the students- a love of learning and making, a chance to express oneself with out having to use words. I did not have advanced students, so I did not put a lot of emphasis on being critical. I think in turn this renewed my energy and helped me create with out being so critical of myself.
 
6. How do you sustain your art while teaching?
When I was teaching, I had a lot less time for creating my own art, but as I wrote in question 5, I got a lot of enthusiasm/energy back from my students. I was also reminded all the time of how lucky I am to have the knowledge and talents that I do have and not to take that for granted. So walking into my studio I felt more confident. I also had a salary coming in which freed me from worrying about selling my art and made me feel more carefree in the studio. This was a huge bonus for my creativity.
 
7. What training in the arts and/or education have you had?
BA, emphasis in Fine Arts from UCSC, BFA in Ceramics from Alfred University, MFA from CU Boulder in Ceramics. Also, 3 semesters in clay at Cabrillo college, 1 semester at CCAC. I had no background specifically in Fine Arts Education.
 
8. What are the biggest challenges you face as a teaching artist?
Having enough time for my own work. With ceramics, you often have to spend a lot of time dealing with the maintenance of your materials and facility and firing kilns on weekends, etc.
 
9. What are the unexpected rewards of being a teaching artist? 
I really enjoyed seeing people who had no previous experience gain confidence when they found out they too could be creative. Often my students would go on to take more classes in art or art history which might lead them back into going to college more seriously.
 
10. What advice do you have for other artists interested in teaching? 
Make sure you know what is expected of you by your administration and don't do a lot more than they expect of you. I worked very hard to build a large, popular, and successful program from scratch and the other instructors and administration did not like me. I was "let go". Never accept your student's FB requests, or other faculty. Don't love it so much that you forget it's a job.
 
*Bonus*
Please share one anecdote of a memorable Teaching Artist experience or your favorite resources for lessons.

I had a several vets for students who had PTSD and it was obvious that ceramics class was very good for them. One in particular with very severe PTSD entered one of his assignments from beginning ceramics class in an art contest for Veterans and won 5th place in the whole country. 
 
Please share any upcoming events or shows you are involved in so we can find out more about your personal art practice. Provide links to websites, event sites, etc.

http://ClaraLanyi.com/

Here's a video of Clara's student's work

No comments:

Post a Comment