Saturday, September 21, 2013

Heather Ridgeway's Improbable Beautiful


student art work


1. How long have you been a teaching artist?
28 yrs 
2. What discipline(s) do you teach?
Drawing, painting, mixed media, digital art, printmaking, ceramics, murals, ....
3. Describe the setting(s) in which you teach.
Currently 9-12 (high school) and an occasional teacher training, used to do integrated elementary.
4. Who shaped your initial thinking about teaching art?
 My art teachers through k-12
5. Describe the relationship between your personal art practice and your art teaching?

Teaching keeps me learning new things but makes it very difficult to become master of anything, though it forces process analysis, so I feel like I'm more aware if what I know...
6. How do you sustain your art while teaching?

My teaching is my art 
7. What training in the arts and/or education have you had?

Ak State certifications in MAT-K12 Art Ed & K-8 BA of Ed; internship in Set Design w/Perseverance Theater, IATSE backstage hand training; London City & Guild Certification in Architectural Restoration and Decorative Painting; numerous "Canvas" workshops, Community Schools classes, professional development etc....
8. What are the biggest challenges you face as a teaching artist?

Time management - consistent expectations and assessments that promote positive production, quality and growth for all
9. What are the unexpected rewards of being a teaching artist?
 Learning from my students
10. What advice do you have for other artists interested in teaching?

 Let your students teach you stuff, share your mistakes, etc
Please share one anecdote of a memorable Teaching Artist experience or your favorite resources for lessons.
The day a kid got up the nerve to approach me respectfully after class and tell me I made him uncomfortable when I rolled my eyes. I had no idea I was rolling my eyes!! 20 years later, that exchange shapes me daily.

Please share any upcoming events or shows you are involved in so we can find out more about your personal art practice
Heather's artwork


No comments:

Post a Comment